1. READ CAREFULLY! READ CAREFULLY! READ CAREFULLY! READ CAREFULLY! READ CAREFULLY!
The iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store share the same Apple ID account. Mid-Pacific Institute’s One-To-One Program requires that each student have their own Apple ID/iTunes account for use with the iPad. In this guide, we will create a new Apple ID for your child to use without a credit card.
This guide is written for parents/guardians creating a Apple ID for their child.
Last update: 06-06-2017
2. On your computer, launch iTunes.
If you already have iTunes installed on your computer, go on to Step 3. If this is the first time you're using iTunes continue on.
If you do not have iTunes, you can download it for either Mac or PC here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/
2.1 Setup iTunes
The iTunes Software License Agreement will appear. Read the terms and click Agree.
3. Sign out of iTunes Store.
If you're already are using iTunes with an Apple ID, you'll need to sign out of that account before creating a new one. To sign out of iTunes, go to the Store menu and choose Sign Out.
4. Confirm you are in the iTunes Store.
Click on the iTunes Store button as show below. This will take you to the iTunes Store.
5. Check For the USA iTunes Store.
Scroll to the bottom of the iTunes Store page and ensure you see the USA flag at the bottom-right corner of the page. If you are not, change your country to USA.
7. Confirm you are in the App Store
You should now be in the App Store. Make sure App Store is highlighted as shown below.
9. Download a FREE App
DON'T MISS THIS STEP! DON'T MISS THIS STEP! DON'T MISS THIS STEP! DON'T MISS THIS STEP!
It doesn't matter what app you download, as long as it's marked with +Get (This is Apple's version of FREE.) To find a free app, navigate to the column on the right side of the App Store window. Scroll down until you see the list of Top Free Apps. Select any app by clicking on it. In the example below, Facebook Messenger is the free app, but you can choose anyone that is free.
Downloading a free app allows the Apple ID account to be created WITHOUT the need to enter a credit card number.
10. Create your Apple ID.
A pop-up window will appear. Click the Create Apple ID button.
- Read the Terms and Conditions.
- Check the box next to "I have read and agree to these terms and conditions."
- Click Agree.
10.4 IMPORTANT! DO NOT ENTER YOUR CHILD'S BIRTHDATE IN THE DATE OF BIRTH SECTION. Create the Apple ID Account
If you are a parent creating an account for a child that is 13 and younger:
- DO NOT use your child's birthdate! Instead, you must use YOUR BIRTHDAY in the DATE OF BIRTH SECTION!
- Please create answers to security questions that YOU will know the answers to and keep this information in case your child gets locked out of their Apple ID
- Failing to do either of the above could cause your child's Apple ID to be locked.
- Enter your child's Mid-Pacific email address and password that was given to you via email. If you cannot find your child's Mid-Pacific email and password, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding. Include your child's full name and grade so we can better assist you. (OPTIONAL: If your child has a personal email account, you can use it for the Apple ID email. Please be sure you write down the password you create for the Apple ID if you use an alternate email address)
- IMPORTANT: In the Security Info section, choose questions that only YOU as the parent would know the answers to. Please write the questions and answers down and store in a safe place. Apple REQUIRES you to know the answers to these security quesions in order to make changes to your account.
- Enter YOUR personal email address in the Optional Rescue Email. This is needed in case the Apple ID needs to be recovered in an emergency.
- IMPORTANT: Enter YOUR date of birth, not your child's IF your child is under 13 years of age. IF they are above 13 years old, then you may enter their birthdate.
- Uncheck Recommendations and information about new releases and Announcements
- Click Continue.
10.5 Payment Method and Billing Info
iTunes will allow you to select NONE for Payment type, but still requires you to fill out a Billing Address.
1. Select None for Payment Type.
2. Fill out the required Billing Address. All fields are REQUIRED.
3. Click Create Apple ID.
11. Verify your Apple ID
A screen asking you to Verify Your Apple ID will appear. DO NOT PRESS OK yet.
11.1 Check your email account for Apple ID verification Email
- Log in to your child's Mid-Pacific email account and look for an email that says Please verify the contact email address for your Apple ID.
- If you cannot find an email from Apple, first check the SPAM/Junk mail folder. If there are no emails from Apple there, go back to iTunes (Step 10) and click Resend verification email. If an email still does not come through, verify that you typed the email address in correctly when you created the account.
- Once you've located the email, open it and click Verify Now.
11.2 A webpage will open to the My Apple ID website
Enter Apple ID account credentials then click Verify Address.
11.3 Your Email address is verified
You should see a green checkmark letting you know that your email address is verified.
Click Return to the Store.